Saskatchewan Advocate for Children & Youth
The Advocate for Children & Youth is an independent officer of the legislative assembly of Saskatchewan. The advocate leads a team of professionals to advocate for the rights, well-being, and interests of children and youth in Saskatchewan.
Toll-Free Phone: 1-888-322-7221
Local: (306) 933-6700
Click here for webpage.
what can sask advocate do for you?
- Advocacy on behalf of children and youth receiving services from a provincial, ministry, direct or delegated agency or publicly funded health entity.
- Investigations into any matter concerning or services provided to children and youth by a provincial ministry, direct or delegated agency or public funded health entity.
- Public Education to raise awareness of the rights, interests, & well-being of children & youth.
- Research and advise any minister responsible on any matter relating to the rights, interests, and well-being of children & youth.
Saskatchewan’s Children & Youth First Principles:
All children & youth in Saskatchewan are entitled to:
- Those rights defined by the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.
- Participate and be heard before any decision affecting them is made.
- Have their ‘best interests’ given paramount consideration in any action or decision involving them.
- An equal standard of care, protection, and services.
- The highest standard of health and education possible in order to reach their full potential.
- Safety and protection from all forms of physical, emotional and sexual harm, while in the care of parents, governments, legal guardians or any person.
- Be treated as the primary client, and at the centre, of all child serving systems.
- Have consideration given to the importance of their unique life history & spiritual traditions & practices, in accordance with their stated views and preferences.
Click here to view the UN Right's of the Child.